Hello and Welcome to Chenango Forks!
Hi there! You may have received my emails, newsletters or seen my posts on Facebook. It is important that I reach out to all families and let them know my role in the school. Especially for the families who are new to the district, I want to make sure that you have everything you need and feel connected to the community!
As the school's Community School Coordinator, I am working to utilize and implement resources from Binghamton Univeristy (interns/volunteers to support student achievement) and the community (Lourdes Youth Services, Crime Victims Assistance Center to run programs) and bring them to the elementary school. With this effort, I am working on supporting the district in building the community school model. You may be asking yourself, "what is that?" To begin, a community school identifies for main goals:
- Improvement of attendance
- Improvement of academic achievement
- Increase family engagement practices within the school
- Provide all with access to resources
In order to achieve these goals, we have to make sure that everyone has what they need. Families deserve to have access to the resources that they need to ensure they are safe and healthy so that their children can come to school and learn. Students who enjoy coming to school are more likely to have strong attendance and good grades. Families should feel welcome in the school building and know the staff are there for them...no matter what!
When thinking about the goals listed, below are some of the things that I have done at Chenango Forks and at other schools in Broome County. I have helped families...
- get insurance
- find a dentist, counselor and/or doctor
- find affordable housing
- find adult education classes
- join committees to share their voice/opinion on various topics (i.e., how to build strong communication between school and home, ways to improve attendance)
- sign up their children for the Boys and Girls Club, Scouts or Dance/Karate classes
- connect with other families through family fun events (trivia, BINGO, game nights)
Let me know if you need anything at all.